Helmet Saves Motorcyclist’s Life
A motorcyclist was airlifted to the hospital after slamming into a fence near his home in the Katy area according to Harris County Sheriff’s deputies. The accident occurred around 1 a.m. when the motorcyclist took a curve on Masters Manor Lane at a high rate of speed. The motorcycle hit the curb, sending it and the rider airborne and into a fence. According to Sheriff’s deputies, the motorcycle was travelling at a high enough rate of speed that it bounced off the fence and slid nearly 50 yards.
- The motorcyclist’s life was saved by the use of a helmet, but still sustained injuries to his face and is currently listed in fair condition.
- Motorcycles can be more dangerous. Riders can suffer from very serious injuries because they are less protected than they might be in other forms of transportation. Whether you are on a motorcycle or in a car, safety should be the first consideration.
- Read the owner’s manual for safe operation of your motorcycle.
- Be sure to check your headlights, turn signals, brake lights, mirrors. Be certain that your brakes are working, the, the pressure in your tires is the right p.s.i. as recommended in the owner’s manual and that the motorcycle’s horn is in good working order.
- Never ride more than two people on a motorcycle.
- Make sure each rider is wearing a helmet and other protective gear.
- When you are on the road, be aware of potential hazards such as other vehicles who might not be able to see you, railroad tracks, or obstacles that can cause a spill.
- When you are driving around other vehicles such as large trucks, make sure that the other driver is aware of your presence. Use your horn if you need to.
- When you are riding in traffic in the city, allow yourself a two-second stopping distance between your motorcycle and the vehicle in front of you. On the open road or under highway conditions, and depending upon your rate of speed, this stopping distance should be increased to three or four seconds or more. If it is dark, this stopping distance should be even greater.
- Be sure to check potential blind spots and turn your head.
If you or someone you love has been involved in and injured in a motorcycle accident, you may need legal representation. Medical costs, damages and other legal matters can best be addressed through the advice of competent attorneys with experience. Give us a call and we can introduce you to the best attorney to meet your needs. We can outline options for your specific case and file any necessary paperwork. Give us a call today.