Highway Accident Lawyer In Houston, TX
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 37,000 lives were lost on US roadways in 2017. Such accidents happen for every reason imaginable, from underage driving and overspeeding to badly maintained roads, road rage accidents, a failure to yield, striking pedestrians, incorrect lane changes, poor vehicle maintenance, and driving under the influence.
When it comes to impaired driving, Texas had the second-highest number of alcohol-related fatalities in the country in 2016. It also had a large share of the country’s growing number of SUV and truck-related accidents, many of which were attributed to distracted driving. Also, while the majority of accidents and traffic deaths occur to passenger cars and their occupants, and while the accident rates of such accidents actually fell between 2016 and 2017 per the NHTSA’s 2017 traffic safety research note, a lost life or a permanent injury is something that can never be truly recovered from.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a traffic accident, we are here to help. Beyond providing you with professional legal services and guidance in the aftermath of an accident, we will help you with filing a claim with your insurance company, collecting the evidence needed to support your case, and finding a local and reliable repair shop to service your car so you can get your life back on track as soon as possible.
Highway Accidents and Damages
A wide variety of accidents occur every day, including but not limited to:
- Truck accidents
- Incorrect lane change accidents
- Drunk, distracted, and drowsy driving
- Collisions with stationary objects
- Falling into ditches, culverts, or ravines
- Running into pedestrians, animals, or parked vehicles
Depending on the size of the vehicle in question, the speed at which it was traveling when the accident occurred, as well as the location at which the accident occurred (such as a rural setting vs. a busy city intersection), serious personal and property damages can result. Examples include:
- Broken bones and compound fractures
- Totaled cars
- Brain or spinal cord injury
- Long-term disability
- Lower future earning capacity
- Death of a loved one
What to Do After an Accident
- You must give you name, address, vehicle registration number, and the name of your auto insurance provider to the operator or an occupant of the vehicle you struck.
- You must provide anyone injured in the accident assistance as is reasonable, including transportation to a hospital or a doctor.
- If the vehicle you struck was unattended, you must try to locate the owner or operator of that vehicle and provide the same information outlined above.
- You must leave an easy-to-see note for the owner or operator of an unattended vehicle to find with your personal details and a statement about the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Violating these rules can result in a Class C misdemeanor if the total value of damage to all vehicles involved in the accident is less than $200, and a Class B misdemeanor if the damages are $200 or more.
Whether you were involved in only a minor accident or a serious crash, contact us immediately. Some injuries only manifest themselves days after an accident, and insurance laws are known to be complex and convoluted. We will help you identify the party or parties responsible for the accident as well as the various damages you are able to claim. We will also help collect the evidence needed to prove your case, such as traffic surveillance footage, eyewitness testimony, and the testimony of accident reconstruction experts so that you can file a claim for all of the damages and costs that you have been made to suffer as a result of the negligence of another road user.
Talk to Us About Your Highway Accident Today
The aim of every insurance company is to protect their bottom line. As a result, the insurance industry is notorious for employing underhanded tactics to discredit valid claims and to lower the settlement payouts that they have to give to accident victims.
If you have suffered in a highway accident of any type, call us today at 713-677-2253 for a free consultation and evaluation of your case. We provide our services on a contingency basis which means you pay nothing until you collect. You have nothing to lose so call Houston’s local legal professionals today.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I Liable If I Loaned My Car To A Friend And They Were Involved In A Car Accident in Houston?
- What Are The 10 Things I Should Do Following A Car Accident In Houston, TX?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?
- Who is Responsible for Repairs After a Car Accident?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?