Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys in Arcola, TX
In 2017, over 1,000 people were killed in drunk driving accidents across the state of Texas. This figure represents about 28% of all deaths that result from car accidents. In addition to this loss of life, thousands of additional injuries are sustained annually and substantial amounts of property are damaged in DUI-related accidents.
Despite these alarming statistics, however, many people still find it acceptable to drink and drive when they feel like they are still in control of things. This is considered by Texas law as nothing short of negligence.
Negligence is punishable by the law and should you sustain injuries, lose property, or lose a loved one in a car accident, you are entitled to seek a settlement from the responsible driver. With the most experienced DUI legal in Arcola, we are ready to file a damages claim for you. Call today to learn about your legal options and to initiate the claim with our team behind you.
The Consequences of Drunk Driving
Drunk driving can lead to severe consequences for drivers. It can lead to a jail term or high financial penalties. It can also lead to a revocation of the guilty driver’s driving privileges. However, in most cases, drunk driving ends up negatively impacting innocent victims. They bring about costs and damages such as:
- Hospital bills: Substantial amounts of money are spent on medical bills for the injuries that result from drunk driving accidents. Both immediate and long-term care is expensive, especially if therapy and other costs have to be factored in
- Employment: Typically, survivors of drunk driving accidents need to leave work for an extended time period. This leads to lost wages, which you can also sue for. At times, your capacity to earn might fall after a car accident
- Standard of living: Most drunk driving accidents irreversibly change the lives of victims. Someone may end up disabled, scarred, or in constant suffering and pain. Even though the nature of DUI accidents varies considerably, the standard of living of persons affected generally changes for the worse. This is a significant, intangible, and common consequence of such events
What Should You Do When Involved in an Arcola Drunk Driving Accident?
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel ill or injured, undergo an evaluation because certain conditions such as whiplash or semi-paralysis may not manifest themselves as soon as they occur.
- Inform the police.
- Gather details of the responsible driver including their license number, vehicle registration details, name, and contact information.
- If there are any witnesses around, obtain their contact information and a record of what they saw.
- Collect as much evidence by taking photos of skid marks and the overall scene, and record any statements or the behavior of the at-fault drunk driver.
- Reach out to our team of Arcola DUI lawyers. We will explain your legal options to you, help in gathering evidence and proving fault, and negotiating with responsible insurers. If an insurance company fails to provide you with the settlement that your case deserves, we will not hesitate to seek justice for you in a court of law.
- Avoid signing any insurance offers without legal counsel. Such offers are usually low-ball settlements that insurers try to dupe you with to mitigate their liability.
What if I Am Seriously Injured? What if I Cannot Capture the Other Motorist’s Information?
There is no need to worry. More than likely, once the police are informed, emergency medical personnel will arrive at the scene soon enough. The relevant highway patrol officer would have filled an accident report, documenting facts and their professional assessment of what happened at the scene of the accident. A police report will include the responsible driver’s contact information, including the insurance information of the driver. We will help you obtain the relevant police report once you are ready to file a claim and initiate your demand for compensation and damages.
In the case of a hit and run accident, we will do our best to identify the responsible motorist using highway camera footage, dashboard camera footage, witness statements, and more. If the driver is nowhere to be found, we can help you get whatever compensation you are entitled to using your uninsured motorist coverage.
Does a Drunk Driving Charge Against the Responsible Driver Prove Your Civil Case?
This does not always apply. In Texas, a driver who has a 0.08% blood alcohol level is considered too impaired or drunk for safe driving. However, just because the driver was charged with DUI does not immediately charge him/her of an accident. As such, he/she might not be held liable for your injuries and damages. To get a fair settlement from a drunk driver, you need a lawyer to file a claim on your behalf and negotiate your case all the way through to its conclusion.
Get Legal Help
Our lawyers offer Arcola DUI accident driving victims free, no-obligation claim evaluation and consultation services. We will help you seek settlements for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and reduced capacity to earn
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
- And more!
Regardless of how complex your case is, we have the right team to see you through this difficult time and to file a claim for all the damages you have suffered. Contact us today at 713-677-2179 to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I Liable If I Loaned My Car To A Friend And They Were Involved In A Car Accident in Houston?
- What Are The 10 Things I Should Do Following A Car Accident In Houston, TX?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?
- Who is Responsible for Repairs After a Car Accident?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?