Free Consultation
No Fees Unless You Collect
Call Us Today 713-677-2159

Hit and Run Still Applies with Property Damage

Residents were rudely awakened to a fiery truck crash at 3 AM on Friday, April 26th. Firefighters were summoned to a residential neighborhood on Reveille Street in southeast Houston where a truck that had crashed into a privacy fence was entirely engulfed in flames. According to witnesses, the driver of the northbound truck fled after losing control and crashing into the fence. The man then fled on foot, abandoning the truck which was completely destroyed by fire. Police suspect that alcohol may have been involved. Fleeing the scene of an accident, even if there are no obvious injuries involved, is very serious. In the state of Texas, if a driver leaves the scene of an accident, especially if the accident ends involves any sort of serious injury, property damage or death, it is considered a third degree felony. If convicted, is punishable up to five years in jail and a fine of up to $5,000 plus damages, or all of the above. An offender may also face other costs imposed by the court such as community service, probation and restitution orders. If the charge of hit and run is added, along with fines and jail time there are the added consequences such as revocation of driver’s license for a period of 90 to 180 days. For anyone convicted of a hit and run accident, car insurance rates can also go up or the driver in the accident can be completely dropped from their insurance.

What to Do If You Are Involved in an Accident

As soon as you are able and when it is safe to do so, stop the car. If you are able and are uninjured enough to do so, check to see if the other driver, passengers or pedestrians involved are also alright. Be sure to call 911 immediately and give the dispatcher your location if possible and describe the situation and wait for help to arrive. If no other people have been involved in the accident, but you have damaged the property of someone else, leave your name, address, phone number and insurance information. If no one is on premises, be certain to leave a note in a conspicuous yet safe location. Call our offices and speak with one of our attorneys. They can help you in the event if damages or charges arise from the accident and give you advice on the best way to proceed with your case.

Call 713-677-2159 for your free consultation.
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Click to call