Pasadena Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Despite countless “Don’t Drink and Drive” campaigns, drunk driving remains a major cause of auto accidents in Pasadena, Texas.
The Driving Under the Influence (DUI) law does not only apply to the consumption of alcohol. DUIs also include the use of drugs that can impair your driving abilities. Even prescription, illegal, and over-the-counter drugs can have effects similar to those of alcohol. While their effects cannot be measured in terms of hard and fast percentages or blood concentrations, behavior that results in a reduced ability to reason, stay alert or fully control muscle movements can be used to build a claim in the event of a drunk driving accident.
Drunk drivers should be held accountable for all the losses, injuries, fatalities, and death that they cause while driving in an impaired state. Fortunately, our expert drunk driving accident legal team in Pasadena, TX is ready to help in your case.
Why You Need a Pasadena Auto Accident Lawyer
After a drunk driving accident, Pasadena prosecutors will immediately start preparing a criminal case against the drunk driver who caused injuries or wrongful death to your loved one. This leads to an obvious question: why would anyone need to hire a drunk driving attorney?
There is a simple answer to this: although a criminal case will be initiated to punish the drunk driver and most probably put him/her in jail, it will not pay for the emotional damages, lost wages, and medical bills you incur as a result of the accident. The only way to recover full financial compensation from the drunk driver is through filing a personal injury claim.
Drunk Driving Punitive Damages
Cases that involve drunk driving are unique. Like any other car accident case, you can recover financial compensation for medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, pain and suffering, income loss, and car or property damage. The difference is that, unlike other car accidents, a jury or judge may also award you punitive damages if the drunk driver had a BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) over .08. Should the drunk driving accident result in death, the driver can be charged with a felony and face imprisonment of up to 15 years.
Punitive damages are used to punish the drunk driver for his or her reckless actions. These damages can also increase the financial compensation you receive.
What To Do After a Pasadena Accident Involving a Drunk Driver Occurs
- The first thing to do should be contacting Pasadena police and calling an ambulance if there are people injured during the accident. Explain the extent of the accident and the severity of injuries to the police and medical personnel that arrive on the scene. If the responsible driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, let the police know.
- Try to gather evidence. Take photos of the scene, highlighting the severity of the accident. Note the registration details of the cars involved. If there are any open containers of alcohol-related drinks or other intoxicants, capture them on your phone as evidence that can be used to build your case. Should the drunk driver attempt to leave the scene, avoid following or engaging him/her as he or she could turn violent. Take note of the driver’s behavior. Are they are stumbling, speak with a slur, or look intoxicated, record these facts, if possible.
- Keep a record of your injuries from right after the crash all the way to how your symptoms and injuries change over time. This will give your doctor additional data to use while treating you. Even if a loved one is lost in the accident, keeping a journal will help in establishing how significant the impact has been on your family, and this can be useful in settling a compensation claim figure.
- Contact our Pasadena, TX legal team at 713-677-2159 and speak with our drunk driving accident attorneys. Our lawyers will:
- Help you gather sufficient information and evidence to build a solid case for fair compensation
- Navigate the legal system’s complexities as they pertain to your case
- Protect your rights against potentially cunning insurance adjusters and the legal team of the relevant insurance company
- Hold negotiations with insurance companies to get you your maximum compensation figure
- Represent you in court should there be the need for a legal suit
Why You Should Quickly Contact a Pasadena Auto Accident Lawyer
In most cases, insurance adjusters will try hurrying you into settling once a drunk driver they have insured has harmed you in an accident. They will try to get you to say things that can destroy your chances of filing or winning a claim for damages. Adjusters do this to quickly settle your injury case because they know that Texas law allows for recovery of punitive damages in the event of a car accident involving a drunk or intoxicated driver.
Normally, Code section 41.008 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies limits how much a Pasadena, Texas jury or judge can award a victim in an accident claim. Nevertheless, if your lawyer can prove that a drunk driver was responsible for intoxication manslaughter (section 49.08) or intoxication assault (section 49.09) of the Texas penal code, the punitive damages limits do not apply.
Our seasoned Pasadena, TX drunk driving accident attorneys have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with drunk driving cases and will ensure that you are not exploited or coerced to testify against yourself. Before speaking to any insurance company representatives, it is best that you consult a Pasadena drunk driving lawyer
Were you Caught Drunk Driving?
In case you went to jail or received a ticket but you are truly convinced that your drinking did not have anything to do with a subsequent accident, there is a way out. For example, if you were rear-ended after being stopped at a red light, you should fight for justice and win your DUI or DWI charge. Our Pasadena, TX drunk driving accident attorneys have the skills and expertise it takes to help you extract yourself from such a situation.
However, if you feel that you have a drinking problem, you should start by seeking help. There are many Alcoholics Anonymous groups in Pasadena who will help you “kick the habit.”
Talk to a Pasadena Auto Accident Lawyer About Your Case
Get started with a free consultation from our skilled and experienced drunk driving attorneys. With a winning track record, our team works with clients to build a solid case and work towards winning your maximum legal compensation. The sooner you file your claim, the higher the chances of success are, so call us today at 713-677-2159.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I Liable If I Loaned My Car to a Friend and They Were Involved in a Car Accident in Houston?
- What Are The 10 Things I Should Do Following A Car Accident In Houston, TX?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?
- Who is Responsible for Repairs After a Car Accident?
- Who is Responsible in an Uber Accident?